Choose a comfortable position. Place one hand on your abdomen and breathe deeply and evenly. Notice how your belly expands as you inhale and contracts as you exhale. As your lungs will with oxygen, your rib cage expands, your diaphragm moves down. As you inhale, your abdomen relaxes and contracts to its normal size.
Working with your natural breath….
1. As you exhale, contract the muscles that stop the flow of urine. Lift up and in. Repeat 10X
2. As you exhale, contract the muscles the stop the passing of gas. Lift up and in. Repeat 10X.
3. As you exhale, contract the muscles the stop the flow of urine AND the muscles that stop the passing of gas. Repeat 10X. Think of both these muscle groups working together as your pelvic floor.
4. As you exhale, engage your pelvic floor and maintain the contraction as you continue to breath naturally. Once the contraction fades (3-10 seconds), let is go. Repeat 10X.
5. Each time you exhale, completely relax your pelvic floor. Say slowly to yourself, “relax, relax, relax. ”Repeat 10X.
Finding it difficult to stay disciplined with your pelvic floor exercises on your own? Feeling like you need more instruction and cues? You're in luck...there's an app for that! Download the Fit 4 Two-approved Pelvic Floor Trainer App and enjoy both visual and audio routines at your fingertips.