What I like to see before a new mom begins easing back into a walk-run program
1. Infant feeding is established
2. Mom is getting enough rest that she can enjoy running
3. Mom is pain and injury free
4. Mom has an assessment by a women’s health physiotherapist who will assess mom’s:
- Stability of joints
- Rectus abdominal muscles (checking for diastasis recti)
- Pelvic floor muscles
- Ability to engage deep core muscles
It may seem like a pain to make an appointment and go see a physio but I often see new moms who feel great, don’t have DR, feel good about their pelvic floor….go back to running but then end up with injuries due to misalignment and instabilities….or pelvic floor issues they didn’t know that they had.
Invest in yourself and honour your amazing body. Here are some women's health physiotherapy clinics you might consider in Vancouver BC. If you live elsewhere, talk to your doctor or midwife about a referral.
Dayan Physio, Envision Physiotherapy and Treloar Physiotherapy Clinic
Safety note: It is recommended that baby is strong enough to support a helmet before running with baby in a stroller, and that the stroller is intended for running.